Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Towing W/ 02 or newer Explorer?? 06???
View Single Post
Old March 25th, 2008, 01:01 AM   #2
Roadhouse
DrivewayJeeper

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebreaker88 View Post
Does anyone here have any experience towing with a 02 and up V8 Explorer. With the towing package they are supposed to be rated to 7300lbs. I would be towing pretty close to max rating at just under 7klbs. I know I would probably need to use the proper weight dist. hitch setup and maybe air bags. Just looking for any real input.

Thanks
I wouldn't. I had an '02 V6 and the IRS is junk. I only towed a small utility trailer, but that truck constantly had rear end work done.(more than ScOoTer)
Outer bearings wear out fast, I think they are a unit bearing, and not cheap.
I had the LSD rebuild once because they are a new design on '02 and up...and are notorious for shuddering. Also had the pinion and carrier bearings replace in it once. I know we replaced one half shaft/axle shaft...maybe two over the years.

I just don't know if I would trust towing a lot of weight with that IRS 8.8 set up.

'02 Was the first year of that design, so they may have gotten better since. I have talked to a couple guys who had '03, and '04's with the same rear end problems.
Roadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06377 seconds with 20 queries