Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - How I Drilled And Tapped My 4-Links
View Single Post
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:59 AM   #1
1crazyredneck
MichiganRednecks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default How I Drilled And Tapped My 4-Links

Just figured I'd share this.. If you are in a bind and happen to have the taps and nec. drills then this is a alternative to take.

I really wanted to run 1-3/4 dom .375wall for my lower link which allowed me to just drill and tap the links to 1-1/4--12 for my heims.. Problem is Lathe I was gonna use is not big enough. Soooo Here is what I did.

I took and cut 1--2.5" & 1--2" piece of the 1-3/4dom . I then used a lathe to drill it out to 1-11/64 and 1-1/4. These where my guides.. U could use a drill press to do this with a little time in centering the piece. That is what I used on the 1-1/4 guide.

I then tack welded the 1-11/64 piece on the end of the tubing and with a variable speed 1/2" drill and a lot of patience I drilled out the 1-11/64 hole. Then removed that piece. Now I clamped the 1-1/4 guide onto the tubing and tapped it using plenty of oil. It works --- but --- if you have a easier way of getting them done ( using weld in bungs, lathe, etc ) I recommend that route. It isn't fun and I don't think my $40 B&D drill really likes it that much.

For the next 4 I'm going to use the mill with a sine plate and just angle the head.. That should work a lot better.

Anyway just thought I'd share this way for the backyard guys that are always looking for a cheaper way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drill.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	22460   Click image for larger version

Name:	tap.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	22461  
1crazyredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06986 seconds with 21 queries