View Single Post
Old March 18th, 2008, 09:43 PM   #17
General Lee
Slice of Starsage Anyone?

Send a message via AIM to General Lee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
We never use them at work, because the cost can't be justified for what we do, until the OEMs change their specs. But I have 'free' pwm controllers onboard my designs, so we control intensity that way.

But, yes, for driving for hobbies, a DC/DC works well. technically, thats a boost, though, buck is knocking down the voltage....

I get to play with this stuff a lot more at work now. I just got named as our north american LED techincal expert for my company.
Buck, boost, same difference :tonka: (sorry, I'm tired!)

I understand that you guys want to save money at the cost of more power wasted, but I build more for efficiency.

I want to have rock lights that are as bright as the incandescents that I can leave on for several hours without frying my battery (in case I need to crawl under the jeep and do some work or something of that nature).

Again, though, you're losing out on some functionality. My set-up allows me the option of a PWM brightness control, or a DC signal voltage level to control brightness (and, of course, there are more advantages to this), which is flippin' convenient.

Congrats on your promotion.

I don't deal with LEDs too much. I've only recently picked up an interest with them when I was assigned to a project where I use infrared LEDs and infrared receivers to communicate and build a virtual 3D grid in free space (they can also communicate several other things, but that is the neatest part).

Kinda' cool stuff!
General Lee is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.04740 seconds with 11 queries