Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - LED rock lights...
View Single Post
Old March 18th, 2008, 08:36 AM   #6
Haggar
Covered in mud...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
Are those waterproof and sealed and :chiefwoohaw:? I can't believe how bright those puppies are. I would love to get some of those for interior lights on the YJ.
They could be, with some silicone to seal them.

For interior lighting, they work well.

My experience is the same as ME, that 8 is the magic number, for that size part (a P4 bin is 80 lumens @ 350mA).

I'm building a new set with Endor stars (3 x 80Lm on each star), so I might get away with 6 on the new vehicle.

I will post a schematic of a constant-current power source you can make for $10 with a few radio shack parts.

A few tips if someone is making these:

1) check your part datasheet, to make sure the thermal-core PCB is electrically isolated. On single LED boards, is sometimes isn't isolated, which shoudl short if you screw the aluminum to the frame

2) Use some computer heatsink compound behind the star to get a few thermal transfer to the aluminum.

3) If you don't have a mill, buy 'gem jars' on ebay, they are little flat glass/plastic jars that you can get dirt cheap, they make nice lenses.

I think the next thing I'm looking for, is better diffuser material. LEDs like this are lambertian emitters, usually 90 to 120 degree, but most of the light is in about a +/- 30* cone.

Looks nice! I liked the milled flatbar idea. I'll have to try some different diffusion material I have here at work for some tests.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.04590 seconds with 20 queries