Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - What determines towing capacity?
View Single Post
Old March 17th, 2008, 11:22 AM   #29
CreativeFab
used to be Ironman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXJ View Post
So, by the "seat of your pants" gauge. Was the issue primarily the tow vehicle or do you think weight distribution came into play.

Absolutely no doubt the tow vehicle and the way it was set up.

Short wheelbase combined with 35" c-rated tires. I actually stopped on my way and tried to shift the load in the trailer placing more weight over the tounge as it wanted to sway a couple times prior to this picture. The tall sidewall had to much flex combined with the short wheelbase made moving the weight more towrds the front could have actually made it worse as the tires flexed even more. Ideally you would want this scenrio, more tongue weight that is.

This trailer was new but I had hauled it once before with a stock Z71 extended cab and it towed like a dream all the way to the St. Ignace car show. Next trip I wanted to take both the Show truck and the Jeep to the Dunes. BAD IDEA as I no longer have that truck and we could have been seriously injured or worse.

I went from that setup to a 40' enclosed goosenenck and a Dually, I havent looked back since. It makes all the difference in the world when you use the right tool for the job!

From that setup to this, 35' class A with 20' enclosed

Last edited by CreativeFab; March 17th, 2008 at 11:33 AM.
CreativeFab is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.07877 seconds with 20 queries