Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Makin changes to the buggy, MuddyPaws 4.0

40K views 310 replies 40 participants last post by  Mr. Beefy 
#1 · (Edited)
Under the knife again.

Ok, current plans:

High pinion front, 5.29's, Grizzly Locker
Remove ghetto fab front spring perches and replace with better, low profile, anti-wrap perches
Soften up front and rear springs
Raise driver's seat one inch and move it back as far as it will go
Groove tires
Add wheel spacers to rear

Softening up the springs and putting new perches on should lower the rig about 1.5 to 2 inches, which is good.

Ghetto fab perches

One down, one to go

Pulled a leaf out of the back. Rear pack was pretty stiff and didn't flex too much.

See less See more
#2 ·
Every time I look at this thing when it was parked, it would look like one rear tire was toed in. Then park it again and the other tire would be toed in. And the resting shackle angle kept changing. I knew something was wonky in the rear. Found out what it is. Easy fix though.

1/2 inch bolt in a 5/8 or bigger hole.

Between the play in the hole and in the bushing, there can be about a 1/2 inch difference from side to side on the front hanger which translates into over a inch at the wheels.

#17 ·
Ok, finally got ahead of things at work and ticked a couple things off the honey do list at home so I had a chance to get a little more done tonight.

Got the new perches.

Machined to fit around the short side of the axle and lower how it mounts to the axle about 3/8 or 1/2 inch. With the other mods to the springs, and getting rid of the funky welded on plates and welded on metal for the home made shims, it should lower the front just about 2.5 inches. I might add some boomerang shackles to allow a more droop with only adding 1/5 inch of lift. So net 2 inches lower and more droop.

Also working on some brackets to get the seat moved up one inch and back. Not done yet. Plans were to run it back 3 or 4 inches, but looks like i'll only get about 2.5 inches back. But that's better than nothing. I'm not chopping up the cage to move the seat back any more. Maybe at a later date i'll swap seats to get it moved back more.

Then got a new shineeey part. High pinion front, Yukon 5.29's and a Detroit. WOOT

#18 ·
Then had to deal with this. We know these things get banged up pretty bad. Mine won't come out. In Canada a couple weeks ago a guy ripped his out even though he had the fancy low profile one and he didn't have a spare.

So cut it out, and plate it in.

Grind smooth in prep for some bottom plating.

Made up a 1/4 inch plate to go over the bottom of the diff.

Done

#30 ·
That's all i have is 4.7:1....wheeled it like that with 5.29's and 38.5's and now with 5.38's and 40's.....once on the trail i really see no need for another range....the only time i miss standard low is running around on smooth connecting trails. Here in MI its not a issue as i just pop it in high range but down south in the mountains high is a no go lol.

#31 ·
Yea, I end up switching in and out a lot. One case is 5:1 and the other is the 2.28. 5:1 is where I am in the rocks but sometimes like the lower double. Then like you say, gotta get higher to go from thing to thing on the trails.

I haven't had it out too many times yet so I am still getting used to it and figuring out what gear works for what.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.