Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

steel vs aluminum

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  reptile610 
#1 ·
has anybody used the aluminum body armor they're making now for jeeps? im wondering how durable it is and if it's worth the price in the weight reduction.

#2 · (Edited)
With anything else the lighter the better IMO. Is it worth it, well that depends If you are on tons with 37s Id say that your drivetrain could handle the extra weight, If you’re on 37s with a D30 then that’s a different story. If you think your drivetrain can handle the extra weight then there isn’t any reason to go for the aluminum, unless you want some bling :naughty:

Edit just checked, and the Genright aluminum corners only save you 20lbs. For the $200 price difference I would go steel.

#11 ·
Only reason for using alum. on my Jeep is to save same weight.Frt.fenders,rear fenders/corners,skid plates , rockers and upper ,lower susp.arms.I would not recommended on DD,because salt on roads during winter time.Salt will eat all alum.if not protected faster then steel.As far us all the damages from SD and Canada,most of it's bend back to original shape.

#9 ·
i work in an aluminum forging plant in ferndale so i know a thing or two about aluminum. they make these parts out of 6061 which is a pretty soft aluminum but you can heat treat them to do alot but yeah, i assumed they wouldn't last nearly as long as steel.

#10 ·
http://xnet3.uss.com/auto/steelvsal/basicfacts.htm

Couple highlights from the above link.

On an auto body, when aluminum and steel are in direct contact, accelerated corrosion is evident. There are barrier technologies available to help with this condition when mixing metals, but at a significant cost impact.

Steel is strain rate sensitive, many aluminum structural grades are not. It is well known that steel displays positive strain rate performance. That is, at the higher rates of strain typically associated with crash events, steel has higher strength increases and consequently higher energy absorption at a given part weight.

The only advantage aluminum has over steel is weight. You are going to need to use thicker aluminum(heavier) to get close to the same impact resistance as steel body armor.

#13 ·
I am just going to toss this out there.

Have you considered using 1/8" UV stable Hdpe sheets for body protection. The sheets are light weight (lighter then aluminum I believe) and can easily be formed into virtually any shape (like the tub corners) using vacuum forming. You could easily make some steel tube fenders and have UV stable Hdpe for the areas like the top and triangle bottom.

Ever seen a Hdpe 55 gallon barrel corrode? Those things last for 30 years easy out in the sunlight.

The 1/8" sheets are cheap compared to 1/8" steel. When you drag the Hdpe sheet over a rock it will only leave a scratch that does not need to be repaired like steel that will rust out if left alone. They will fade in color overtime but the fuel saved and the need not to constantly paint them will make buying new sheets in 10 years(if you keep the rig that long)cost worthy.

People have been using UHMWPE(cutting boards with a oily surface) for years as light weight skid plates. They are not UV stable so you can not use them as body protection cause they will yellow and crack within 7 years. But for under body protection vs steel they just make perfect sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.