Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

opinions on 35 spline drive flanges for D60

6K views 43 replies 25 participants last post by  bbrancheau 
#1 ·
Looking for a new set and would like opinions of likes/dislikes of what you have run.

thanks

#6 ·
I "did" also. But seems the flimsy spiral rings don't like to hold the flanges in place when doing either front digs or high speed whoops around R&V. Either way, one spit out right past the spiral rings & I lost it. Looked at the other side and it was 1/4" out. Tab grabbed hold and pulled it right out over the ring.

I can't complain to them as I didn't have the spiral ring on the axle shaft so that may have saved me from losing it. Either way, I need to buy another one and I want a good old fashioned snap ring with it.

RE the grease fitting. I think it's a good use for keeping water away from the bearings if you want to pack the area full of grease. But, you would have to use about a half tube of grease to fill that void before you would ever get grease into the bearings. All in all, I think they were made well.

#3 ·
Yukon YHC50005 - I have not run them myself, but we have sold 14 of them this year alone. I just looked at the warranty database and we have had no warranty claims on any YHC50005 in the past two years (that's as far back as this database goes).

Not quite what you were asking, but thought it might be helpful in your decision.

#28 ·
GREAT!! You sold me your unwanted JUNK???

Thats ok, after a little "tweaking" they will be just as good as any other flange out there.:nana:

#15 ·
i am running the solid stuff also. got thjem used on escam for pretty cheap. they seem pretty stout?
i got snap rings from dts to hold them in. i was worried about water/mud getting past the o-ring seal.
so far they are clean are greased inside, but i avoid mud as much as i can.

get "real good" snap ring pliers!
i had a hell of a time putting in and removing the new snap rings for service.

my solid ones have holes in them. i have thought about putting a zerk fitting on the cover to grease the bearings. im sure it would get messed up in the rocks. it also would be a big mess during a trail repair. a whole tube or two of grease is messy on the trail.

good luck

#19 ·
I think that as you turn, the axles shafts tend to thrust either into or away from the dif due to the loads put on the u-joints. So, if you have the flange tied to the axle shaft via the inner snap ring and then bolted to the hub via the cap, there is a constant fatigueing that may take place.

On the other hand, the guys running the Solid brand don't seem to be complaining. But I'm not sure they wheel enough.:teehee:

#22 ·
OK, time to say Kudos to our supporting business's. I talked to Dale @ Ironman Offroad, where I bought them. I told him that I could not hold EORP responsible because I failed to install the inner spiral rings on the axle shaft. He called Jimmy at Extreme to talk about the snap ring issue. Turns out there were a couple different snap rings that were used and Jimmy is going to supply the other style to everyone that Dale has sold the flanges to.

On top of that, Jimmy wants to replace the one I lost at no charge! I think that is nothing but STAND UP! I appreciate a vendor who recognizes that small issues can result in frustrating results.

Thank you Dale and Jimmy! Definitely raised another notch in my book.:woot:

#24 ·
jimmy is the man..he updated mine a year ago. have not touched them since.

#35 ·
Warning- use only genuine motorcraft replacement parts.

Yes, that fancy aluminum spacer is all that makes them "special"..... If you don't believe me, go look up the RCV drive flanges. They are identical, they also list them exclusively as universal D60 parts.

If you REALLY don't believe they will work on regular 60's I'll go put one on my dads axle if you'd like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.