Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Project tug cj-10a now going full rock crawler

45K views 249 replies 65 participants last post by  trogdor the burninator 
#1 · (Edited)
Well here is my build - cheepy style

I started with an auto 84 jeep cj-7 (picked up for 600$) punted the rims and tires for 400$.

1984 cj-7 Laredo (ditched the crap rusted out body / kept the frame)

Body & Frame
--Cj-10a tug body tub, doors, top, grill (from craig)
--Cj-7 Frame extended 10" (now closer to an 8's length) 106.5" with J20 front springs in rear.
--building a new frame and going full width

Running gear (runs like poop now) EDIT: runs great with the new 2100 carb on it.--258 with header / webber 2brl new 2100 motorcraft
--999 auto/ D300
--rear soa NT D44 w/ spacers- linc locked (from Craig) - not a 60
--front soa WT D30 - open but may linc lock (new 373's gears to match rear 44)
--5.3 vortec, auto, D300

Suspension
--front 4" cj springs with 2 leaves removed and one stock one added
--rear i will be running front J20 springs flipped.
--currie geazer shackles F&R
--3" dropped pitman
--Highsteer now on the d30
--rancho shocks in rear, rough country in front
--4 link rear with swayaway coilovers (10")
--3 link front with panhard bar with swayaway coilovers (14")

Rubber / Rims
--now 35"x12.50"x15" MT Baja claws
--now 8" rims
--24 bolt 2x beadlock with pvc inserts and rockrings
--37" BFG baja ta's

old pics

See less See more
#6 ·
yea, my buddy and I are going to draw up a bed on some software then have it cut out by a router machine. Once all the pieces are cut im going to weld her together. It will be custom athough keeping to the jeep lines as much as possible.

UPDATE:
break / gas lines all run
frame painted

just awaiting someone to help lift the body on.

#12 ·
Were the heck are you guys finding all these CJ10's? I like the direction your going...Keep posting...Lots of pics please!!!!
1x1 craig! :woot: I believe that PokerRob got the body from Craig, who had 2 CJ-10's.

I just would like to know where to get them from... I think jeeps are just attracted to Craig!

#16 ·
point of interest Next time you streach a frame up use a fish mouth plate as they are stronger then a vertical seam..both hold up and are fine but a fish mouth looks cleaners and is stronger

#33 · (Edited)
Tug bed mockup in card board

here are some mockup pics of the bed.

My friend drew this bed up in a cad program, printed it out full scale in paper and transferred to cardboard.

hopefully this will be cut out in steel within the next 3 weeks or so and welded together by the end of january.

#40 ·
Very cool. This is exactly what I'm looking to do with a '10a (if I ever find one :tonka: ) Little bit curious though....why not just use the back half of a CJ/YJ tub? I'm guessing the dimensions are somewhat different.
If it's possible, I'd be interested in seeing some of the drawings, dimensions, etc.

It looks great!

Nate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.