Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Had to put pants and shoes on for work this week exactly once.

6K views 41 replies 19 participants last post by  RyeBread 
#1 ·
Loving the new home-office gig - even if some of the technology stuff hasn't fully propagated.

Cisco software based IP Phone can't connect to the telephony server - SSO errors that were prevalent with many of the corporate intranet sites.

Oh, and re: the pants/shoes. "New" Federal Homeland Security documentation called an "i9 form" - well it seems that the Feds that designed the form want an employer's representative, or an "authorized agent" to examine ID documents, and witness the new hire's signature.

Couldn't find a single notary in Fenton willing to act as same, so I had to drive down to Ann Arbor to meet with a corporate staffer :(

#9 ·
I started at the previous position in November 2007. My employer requested notary action on the form as is their custom with "at home employees" that are relatively remote from a branch office.

Ironically, both notaries at town hall, and one at a title company I'm familiar with refused to be involved in the process...

#10 ·
you would have had to fill out an i9 in 2007 as well, why do you act like its such a foreign document? It is not a "new" homeland security document.

The requirement to visually/in person see/touch the documents before accepting the I9 as official is a policy that has changed since 2007.

#11 · (Edited)
guess what. I never saw an i9 before this form was sent to me. And certainly never signed one.

therefore, it's "new" to me. apparently it's also 'new' to the folks at Fenton City Hall, as they'd only seen one once, and didn't want to touch it.

*shrug*

edit: just texted the HR Director at my former employer. They don't use the i9 form even today... and they do participate in e-verify and do also do background checks.

I'm not an HR person, so I don't really know, or care why or how they get around something that you deal with every day.

#15 ·
*sigh*
the number, not the card. soc# is also required for federal and state income tax withholding

the latest instructions set that came with the i9 required the physical card, or a birth cert. or a number of other similar documents.

it also required that I sign the form, which did not take place back in 2007.

if you just want to argue about it, that's fine, but we all know what trying to win an e-argument is worth...

#30 ·
I believe in the existence of I9 forms and have since I had to fill them out when I managed a restaurant back in the late 1980's.

But I have no belief regarding whether RyeBread is wearing pants, since I don't want to think about it.

#27 ·
I am not surprised, though here is the verbage that suggests they should verify the documents themselves.

The employer must examine the employment eligibility and identity document(s) an employee presents to determine whether the document(s) reasonably appear to be genuine and to relate to the employee and record the document information on the Form I-9.

#32 ·
Many people that have to submit to extensive background checks never see an I9. I last saw an I9 in 2001. But since then I've had to submit to extensive background checks for every job I've had.

Many other people never seen an I9 but have to bring in their Driver's license, a Passport, and their "original" Social Security Card. Their employer is doing the I9 but the employee doesn't know it.

#38 ·
What a waste of time. I get arguing, but this is just plain stupid.

I've seen the form for most of my jobs since 2001. Don't think I've signed it every time though. I've worked for Public schools, private companies, and non-profits. Even worked as a private contractor for a summer....that's the one I'm not sure about.

RyeBread, I'm sorry you had to put your pants on and how dare you tell a story that may have inconsistencies on proper procedures for filling out a form you may have never seen before (that you admitted to never seeing before (which some may refer to as 'new')). Shame on you. :teehee:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.