Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

please school me on GPS's (one in particular)

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  gotsand? 
#1 ·
so I want a GPS....I want a handheld that I can walk with, but can also use it on the road. I would like it to have audible turn by turn directions, track my route so that I can take the same path back, decent battery life and not too big (handheld size)....

I will be using it in my truck and jeep, on my sled, and on a bike when I eventually get one.

does anyone have any recommendations? I kinda like this one
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=135&pID=213#Mounts
http://cgi.ebay.com/GARMIN-Quest-2-...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1308&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Its a Garmin Quest 2....has all that I want, not to big...rechargeable battery, water proof...etc...

Any input would be greatly appreciated :thumb:

#9 ·
The Quest you first spoke of is useless (off-highway) because it does not have the ability for Tracks.

The GPSMap 60 has the ability to store 20 Tracks (off-highway usage) plus the ability top get you around town.

I agree the display is small and may pose a problem but considering your multi use desire, it would be a good fit.

#10 ·
thanks everyone for your input, I have been doing alot of reading and I think I am going to get the 60Cx or 60Csx. the difference between the 2 is a compass that works when stationary and an altimeter. if your moving the cx tells you what direction you are going, but does not when you are standing still.
I think I will end up getting the cx, as I do not think I would need to know my altitude, and movement in one direction will yield my bearing, not to mention I can still use the sky for a basic N/S/W/E bearing. :thumb:

#11 ·
I agree with your choice of the Cx model (as opposed to the CSx). You get longer battery life out of the plain "C" models (30 hours as opposed to 20 hours from a pair of Alkaline AAs). Also, with the CS models you need to recalibrate the compass frequently (at least every time you change batteries). And most of my friends who own CSs turn their compasses off anyway.

Good all around unit and a great choice. If you want one that floats then you could also look at the 76Cx.

But neither offer voice prompts. They just beep. Which worked just fine for me for years.

Don't forget that simply getting a GPS is only half of the cost. You also have to buy maps. $100 for city navigator maps and $100 for Topos (you can load different mapsets and toggle between the two). I currently run a Garmin Zumo 550 on my Victory (motorcycle) and in my Jeep...loaded with Garmin City Navigator N. America NT 2009 and Topo v3.02 (old topo maps...I rarely toggle the Zumo to use them...the CN 2009 maps are that good). When I hit the trail I use my Colorado 400t loaded with City Navigator N. America NT 2009 and 24k Topo (comes preloaded with those topos). And I use that Colorado in my truck for navigation. Maps maps maps. It really is all about good maps.

And then there are the accessories...like the car power cord. Eases the cost of batteries. And the mount so you don't just jam the GPS up against the windshield and the dash and hope it stays put.

#12 ·
well I just ordered the 60Cx, cig lighter adapter and city navigator....boss told me the company would pay for it so I got to use my corp. credit card :woot::rock::nana:

then I got on ebay and I paid for a suction cup mount for the truck, permanent mount for the sled, hard power cord for the sled and a 2GB micro SD card.

sweet, now all I have left is to get a topo for all of the sled trails in MI :woot:

http://vvmapping.com/snowtrailGPS.html

thanks again everyone for your help! :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.