Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Need advise

5K views 53 replies 23 participants last post by  Tom 
#1 ·
Ill make this as short as possible, I drove my wifes car to work Jan 2(our first day back) and it got hit by a front end loader in parking lot and damaged RR qtr panel,door,hood,windshield,a-pillar ect. The body shop(very rep ital company they fixed my truck last year without issue) called to tell me the car was finished and it has a list of issues, color match, they repaired door horribly and they wiped out body line on qtr panel, over spray ect. I did not accept it they put a skin on door, rubbed over spray off, fixed windsheild and called again. went friday and car doesn't match, poor paint quality, qtr panel wasnt touched, grinder marks in door jamb were skin was replaced ect. I did not accept again and the owner was pushing for me to sign papers and pay deductible :sonicjay:. I called insurance company and they dont want to hear it, owner is pissed and i got the " thats close, nobody would ever notice that stuff" to which my response was "unfortunately nobody else owns this car owns it but me". I can see this going bad, he is blaming it on the age of car (2008), the color (black). Your in my shoes, What do you do?

#4 ·
Yes the line is there but very full and no defined like the other side, They should be 100% responsible for color match. They didnt even blend into doors or fenders. Just wondering if anyone went through this and i wonder if i can pull it out of there and get it fixed somewhere else. The insurance company had me take it there because it was a approved shop.

#7 ·
Hard to color match, bullshit. If their is an issue with the color they come up with they can call the manufacturer with a vin and paint code, and see if there was a field match. I mis dupont, so It may be diff with others, but if you use their shop line(nason) there is no alterantes. If you use the high quality(chromabase) with a VIN they should get the exact alternate and have a perfect match.

#32 ·
I have been mixing paint or over 5 years, and have never once had a chevy black not be right, or at least bendable, even in Nason.
The exact paint code for the car should be with the VIN on the door jamb or the door itself. Most reputable shops have computers along with the mixers to ensure you get the color needed. How did you come about this shop again?
I am guessing the issue is color matching without spraying the whole car.
Yes...you can get the right code, getting a 6 year old black to color match a fresh spray will be difficult.

#9 ·
He wanted to aruge with me, there are a couple variants of that black and it looks like they just painted it with bulk jet black. Gm black has a lot of brown in it and when they are side by side it is horrid

#21 ·
No reason for black to not match unless they tried to mix it without all the tints. I know sometimes with black I have to polish the adjacent panels to get the shine to match but never an issue with the actual color, especially on a GM product, with Ford some of their alternates have a lot of green or yellow tint in them but still easy enough to match.
Stick to your guns, it is your car and you should be happy with the repairs.

#29 ·
:sonicjay::finger: I shouldn't have to fix it, I didn't do the damage nor do i have the time to mess with it. Far as color match you guy are preaching to the quire, my wife gets mad at me for point it out all the time on other peoples cars. It's not acceptable with my work or anyone else's in my book. Insurance company will fix it before I'm done, even if I end up with with a lawyer.

#30 ·
Quit getting technical with him - it's not a technical issue.

It's contractual. They accepted the work to be delivered to a standard and they're trying to "round down". Maybe the bad winter has them busier than they can realistically handle?

Enlist your insurance company in the effort. If it's an "approved shop" they must send tens of thousands of $ to this shop annually. Since you followed their recommendation, they would typically take over and lean on shop. Was adjuster who assessed damage a company adjuster or an independent? If company, and he doesn't stand up for you immediately - escalate (I had a horror story like that once).

#36 ·
52 Years in the Bodyshop field. 23 as manager of Chrys dealership bodyshop. Approved Ins Shop. A lot of work from Progressive. Good company never a problem.
#1 Your not happy & talked to manager.
#2 Call progressive adjuster. Make appointment to go with him, look at car again. These guys are good in there field.
#3 Don't take car, until it's right.
#4 Adjuster may take car to another shop. Have done a few of these.
Customer is always right.
You pay Insurance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.