Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

disuccsion on non-centered recovery points

2K views 16 replies 17 participants last post by  General Lee 
#1 ·
how many people use both of their hooks at the same time?

I use two short slings or a second strap run through the loop of strap hooked to the recovery vehicle. i do this when i am pulling my 16,000lb vehicle out. When i am pulling out a 6-8k vehicle i only use one bumper shackle cause i don't think the weight of the other truck is going to affect my truck.

i wonder how the manufacturer designed these hooks/points to be used? one at a time or both? a military recovery TM shows using a chain or a wire sling http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=1&fid=file&pid=63

I would like to note that using chain in recovery is OK if used properly. Most people don't know how to use it correctly.

Has anyone ever gotten any frame shimmy from pulling on one side?

I think that hooks from a stock truck should never be used on anything but a stock truck. That is what they are designed for. the weight and mire (stuck) factor of a stock truck vs a mod truck is a lot different.

thoughts or opinions on this?

See less See more
#2 ·
In the front of My YJ I have 2 3' Round Slings (rated at 30,000 lbs/piece) Basketed around the front Frame rail that come to Shackle to then attach to a strap or winch.

I've been trying to come up with a way to do similiar in the rear. I want to try to find something that will go through the stock holes from the rear leaf spring bushings.

#4 ·
well let me inlighten you. we do this test at work for sensors. we use 80 feet of 1/2 chain. we hook to something solid like a road grader(over 30,000lbs). we then hook it to the back in the vehicles at the Hitch. we have a solid steel hitch block our chain pins into, we then pull it 10 mph till it comes to the end of the chain. its a very solid point as the vehicles stop abruptly. now if you pulled like that on a frame corner you might not be going down the road straight afterwards. now to get to the point of this. I used to do frame work in a body shop. the pulling force to straighten an old CJ frame that had been diamond shaped was around 30,000 pounds of pull. so consider what it took to put the diamond in the frame?

#5 ·
For a really good stuck I use a center mounted tow point. For an easy one I will use either a side mounted hook or the end of my bumper. I have 2" receiver mounts front and rear.

I also believe a chain is ok for recovery if it is a proper chain, used properly. A chain is for pulling, never for "snatching" a vehicle.

#8 ·
I use individual hooks when recovering my rigs for obe 15 years- haven't bent a frame yet.

Of course- I will go to the winch (and snatch block, if necessary) rather than continue to fruitlessly use a strap on a hard stuck.

#15 ·
I usually use just one hook. I haven't noticed any problems with the frame. In the rear I've always used the trailer hitch receiver, again, no problems.

If you was to use a sling to 2 hooks it's OK, but make sure you look at and understand table 3 on page 33 of the vehicle recovery manual posted.

And I agree that chains have a place in vehicle recovery, but please make sure you know how to use them before doing so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.