Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Tow rig Air Bags

7K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  hosejockey4506 
#1 ·
I'm looking at ordering a set of air bags for my dad's tow rig.

2002 Chevy 1/2 ton 2wd

Anyone used these before?

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/2320c.html

Seems like the bag should go directly over the perch not in front of the tube on the spring like in the picture.

Never had a set just looking for opinions

See less See more
#3 ·
I think they do that to allow more travel at the center point of the axle. It will do the same thing right in front of or behind the axle, just allow for more travel and probably a better ride because of it.

I had a set on my duty and my dather-in-law has them on his duramax. We both love them. In can't vouch for either of those 2 brands, but I would just check what most of the manufacturers have the bags rated at and make sure these are comparable.

#5 ·
Oh- those are just generic pics also. The bags are the important part that are all pretty much designed the same way and are universal. It's the mounts that make them truck-specific. Your truck may mount them centered over the axle. Just make sure the mounts are nice and beefy...

#7 ·
the firestone riderites are popular in the truck camper crowd i camp with.
i got a used set for my superduty, but i never installed them.

timbrens are another popular option. they are cheap and maintenance free.
unloaded ride is not affected. we carry more payload than most people, so most of us run somthing to boost the rear payload capacity.

#9 ·
I just put the Airlift's on my GW
I mounted them directly over the axle using longer U bolts and a 1/4' steel plate as a base. This was due to the 1" lift springs. The mounting height needs to be maintained for the air bags to work correctly. Airlift is a Michigan Company.

#10 ·
I have the airlift sleeve bag on my 1/2 ton.I was hoping to find a bellow type of bag to make work but with how the mounts are set up it wont allow anything but a sleeve type bag.I also think the bellow type of bag is used on the 3/4-1 tons.

If possible stay away from airbagit.I have built a few air bagged trucks and they offer nothing but garbage and shitty customer service.Deal with airlift or firestone.

since were talking bags heres a c10 i built haha

#14 ·
I also recommend air lift. I had a buddy that worked there about 8 years ago. Great product and a good fit. Recommend going with the kit with the on board compressor and gauges. It is a little frame mounted compressor witch is noisy when you hit the button, but it is nice to just toggle the button and raise and lower your pressures on the fly as your load may change.

#16 ·
I have the Firestones and love them. Best investment i have ever made from a towing standpoint

#18 ·
Got the airlifts om my 2500 dodge and love them. it even gives me a lttle smoother ride at 20 psi. Had the timbrens on my 1500 chevy, but they did not do much in my opinion

#27 ·
as far as....? Durability ? I have had mine on for maybe a yr now.. with NO issues.. no leaks to this date.. i run around with about 15 psi in them.. and last time i checked them they still had 15psi.. Mine are Air lift brand. but I think Firestone makes the bags..

#25 ·
alumcj put firestone bags on his truck the other day it made a huge difference.

i will get the weight slip but we had 2 rigs in a 34 foot enclosed with a service body on the truck. i think we were around 22,000 pounds total with 11,300 on the trailer axles and the rest on the truck. i want to say it was 6500 or so on the rear truck axle and 4000 ish on the front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.