Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Lost 6 of 8 lugnuts and studs? How did this happen?

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Mall Wheeler 
#1 ·
1 ton van, 2006. Had brakes done 28,000 miles ago. Technician gets back and states "The truck is vibrating since I left the job site" took the wheel cover off to find this:

Can anybody explain how that would have happened? No lug nuts were in between the wheel cover and the rim. Did the company who did the brakes on this only put on two lug nuts, and they held for almost 30,000?

This truck drove fine to the job site, was there 6 hours (out of view of the tech for most of the time) and then wobbled on the way home. Did somebody really gank 6 lug nuts?

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
sounds like they were put on either too tight, or not tight enough. i've had the same thing happen when i worked at firestone years ago. we we're required to use those stupid torque sticks on our impact guns. lugs weren't tight enough on this ford truck and sure enough guy came back missing a wheel and broken studs. never again will i use torque sticks to put wheels on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.