Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

2005 Jeep Unlimited (LJ) "Slow Roast" build

56K views 276 replies 63 participants last post by  buttercr125 
#1 · (Edited)
At age 34 (I'm almost 40 now), I bought my first and only new vehicle ever - a 2005 LJ - as a spring/summer/fall daily-driver. I have always stored it in the winters, and driven a cheap "winter bomb" to keep the LJ out of the salt. I love the thing, and have pretty much babied it, to say the least (until more recently...read on).

Here's a stock shot of my LJ. Looking back, it looked pretty "wussy" on those stock-sized tires (not that it's huge now, but...). I also bought some OEM Rubicon rocker guards back in 2005, but have been too much of a puss to drill holes through the body to mount them. :teehee: Actually, I just haven't had the need for them up to this point, and installing them hasn't been a priority.

A couple years ago, when the Wrangler GS-As were starting to get a little slippery (plenty of tread left, but the compound got kind of hard/slippery), I sprung for some 31" BFG KM2s and a budget boost. It's a great set-up. The handling is still great, and the tires aren't horribly loud for being a mud-terrain design.

Enter a Fall 2010 visit to Rocks and Valleys with my daughters (met up there with Crawler and his wife). One word...ADDICTED! So were my daughters. Mira was begging me to get a locker so we could do the Black Diamond trails. :thumb:

Notice the custom "striping" on my door? It's a scratch that goes the full length of the driver door and into the quarter panel. I'll have to see if it'll buff out. It's the only real "carnage" (used very loosely) from the day. My girls were worried. They were like, "Dad, are you going to be OK?". It was all good.

So there it is. Upgrades will be simple weekend projects - nothing to pull too much of my time away from my family/girlfriend, nor working on Mira's XJ with her. For the haters, no I won't be selling it, and no, I won't be parting it out. :finger: :sonicjay: :sonicjay:

More updates to come.

Craig

Current Plans/Status (updated 4/2/2012):

I want to give a H-U-G-E thanks to RockSolid Performance for all of the guidance, custom work, and great service. Thanks guys!

Full-Traction long-arm install under way...

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I have the JKS disconnects and like them very much.
Since you like the jeep so much I have a suggestion for you, if you do hard wheeling make sure the spare tire is not on it, as the first thing you will do is cave in the rear tail gate from the spare tire hitting stuff, and it is hard to believe but I was rubbing my spare on the ground when going up and down hills.

Also, if you put rock crawler bumpers on it, you will fold up the front fenders if they are short bumpers. The longer bumpers will get hooked more but they will protect you going around the hard corners near the trees, the short bumpers will let the fender flares rub on stuff and the next time you get out and look both fenders will be folded in.

But it sure is fun.

#7 ·
Thanks all. I drove a '94 YJ prior to the LJ, and the added length/space/wheelbase is better in every way than SWB Jeeps, IMHO. I'm really glad I bought this Jeep when I did.

dougstephvoor - thanks for the tip on the bumpers, too.

#8 ·
Gas tank skid is a must - I don't know if it's the longer wheelbase in general or the slightly longer rear overhang but we mangled the stocks skids on both of our LJs. The current one took such a beating that the cross member is going to need to be replaced before I replace the skid. But no complaints here, I love the extra room inside, the longer wheelbase rides better and lets me tow my camper (3500#) without any issues.

#11 ·
Gas tank skid is a must...
Good input! I didn't bash my tank at R&V, but it was on my mind to be careful of it.

I installed a Full Traction Long arm (4"), regeared (4.56's) and locked the D30 and D44, and have a descent bumper and good winch, running 33" Trxus. I'm really happy with where I'm at.
Shawn - Is your LJ a manual or automatic? Mine's an auto. Impressions of the 4.56s with 33" tires? I'm currently leaning toward 4.88 gearing based on input from a knowledgable front axle manufacturer. They feel the 4.88s are a better quality in regards to manufacturing/QA. I hadn't heard that previously, though.

Craig I've ran an Antirock on several TJ's I've built and really they are amazing. A bit pricey as compared to discos, but not having to get out and jack around with them is truely priceless. You get plenty of wheel travel and your poor rear sway bar doesn't do all the work. IMO.
Great to hear the first-hand experience/endorsement. I'd really prefer to go the Antirock route for the reason you mentioned. Thanks again.

Craig

#9 ·
I love my LJ, you won't ever be disseminated. And, you are building slow but sounds like you are going about it right, I kinda just jumped in fairly heavy with mine.

But after owning a 97 TJ, then building my CJ (that thing was an awesome trail beast!), and still owning and driving an 01 TJ, I have to say building an LJ was the best decision.

I installed a Full Traction Long arm (4"), regeared (4.56's) and locked the D30 and D44, and have a descent bumper and good winch, running 33" Trxus. I'm really happy with where I'm at. I have some good rock sliders, but still need to get a trans skid (CHIEFWOOHOO!!!!) and then a gas tank skid, then a good rear bumper/tire carrier.

#10 ·
Craig I've ran an Antirock on several TJ's I've built and really they are amazing. A bit pricey as compared to discos, but not having to get out and jack around with them is truely priceless. You get plenty of wheel travel and your poor rear sway bar doesn't do all the work. IMO.

#12 ·
I Love my LJ as well but I went a different route, I as well drove a YJ before but I ran 35's on mine so that's the route i went with the LJ. I got a Fabtech 6" longarm with 35" BFG's and Metalcloak rockers w/step on mine. Unfortunately I didn't get as lucky as u with my first wheeling experience with my LJ, mine rolled over 22k as we left the campground the morning or it's first trail. It was Drummond Island and I managed to go through 80 some miles of trails and just put a couple dents in skid plates underneath then we hit a rolling field and I went over a knoll wrong and caved in my rocker, (hense the Metalcloak) then ran the rear D.S. corner across a tree while getting winched up a hill cause I still had the GS-A's. Hope u keep enjoying yours. I no I do mine

#15 · (Edited)
Well, I've been pinching my pennies, and pulled the trigger today by ordering some stuff from Unlimited Offroad (thanks again for the guidance, Jared :thumb:). Coming soon...

• Nth Degree Tummy Tucker (and other) skid plates
  • Currie Antirock (front)

Can't wait to pick the stuff up and get it installed (getting Spring fever). :thumb: Once my budget recovers, I'll be looking at a gas tank skid.

Craig

#18 ·
It's like Christmas morning for me today. :sonicjay: Currie was late getting the Anti-Rock shipped out, so I'll have to have that shipped to me when it arrives at Unlimited Offroad. BIG thanks to Jared at Unlimited Offroad for helping guide me with these purchases, and taking good care of me. It was great seeing you, and taking a tour through the shop today. :thumb:

Craig

Attachments

#20 ·
Thanks. CLICK HERE for the install instructions. I didn't compare if they're the same as the hard copy I got with the skid plate. I will say that the skid plate design has changed just a little from the photo on AEV's website, and that they did away with a separate supplemental hardware kit for automatics. More to come...

Craig

#23 ·
Will do. :thumb:

Wow, SUPER helpful instructions! There is a brand on ebay, EMP I think, that sells flat belly skids for like $279, and I was considering going that route. I think you are pretty much on your own for figuring out how to install it However. Reading through that makes me think spending some extra dough for a well thought out skid might be worth a second look. Thanks a lot for posting that I appreciate it!
That was kind of my thought, as well. Their great focus on instructions/end-user friendliness was a big bonus in my book.

Craig

#28 ·
Thanks Jacob.

The shafts are some insurance until I get bigger axles under mine (currently being researched). The D30 will end up under Mira's (my daughter's) XJ, so the bling shafts will still have a good home then. :thumb:

Craig

#30 · (Edited)
Kid time and working on Mira's Jeep has taken a priority, and I wouldn't have it any other way. :thumb:

Update...The powdercoat on the Currie Anti-Rock arms I got is shoddy, so I have to call Currie this week about swapping them out. I think I may just spend a few more bucks and get the aluminum arms. More to come...

I did pick up a Dana 70U rear axle (4.88 gearing) from a '10a aircraft tug for a longer-term rear axle solution (front will likely be a narrowed Dana 60). :rock:

Craig

#33 ·
I picked up my Dana 70U this weekend. It's W-I-D-E (75"), but it'll be narrowed. This Dana 70U has a nodular iron center section, a smooth bottom (see photo below), 4.88 gears, and a Power-Lok limited-slip. It's not a high-pinion axle, but the pinion is just below the center line of the axle, so it's not really a low-pinion, either. I'll work later this week on removing the spring perches and shock mounts, and get it ready for narrowing. I did pull one of the shafts, and unfortunately, the shaft tapers down just outward from the existing splines, so I probably won't be able to have them shortened & resplined.

I'll also be converting the rear to disc brakes.

It's definitely a heavy motha'!!! :sonicjay:

Craig

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.