Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Mr. Beefy's "not quite yet U4 buggy" build

358K views 3K replies 117 participants last post by  Mr. Beefy 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright fine, I'll make a new build thread :finger: :sonicjay:

Bought a MandM offroad chassis from PJ, super good dude to deal with and super nice. HIGHLY recommend. http://mandmfab.com/id68.html
This is chassis #20

Order placed on Monday 11-5 at about noon..

Got this on 11-6.

11-9

11-12

11-13

See less See more
#2 ·
In the pic above its 108" wheel base. Not 100% sure where it will end up, and thats not ride hieght, just as high as those stands would lift.

Right now I am waiting...

artec front and rear truss's ordered with coil over tabs.
Ruffstuff bushings and sleeves for motor mounts and crossmember parts.
Northwest np205 clocking ring

Waiting to get started on the bushings so I can get the motor etc in place.

Right now..
96 351 roller motor (donor from eb)
c6 but might change it up or atleast get a long tailshaft c6 instead of short. (donor from eb)
np205 twinsticked
ford front 60 5.38's spicer 35 spline outers, drive flanges, spartan locker(donor from eb)
14 bolt shaved welded 5.38s disc converision(donor from eb)
single ended hyd steering (donor from eb)
4 link front and rear
eb grille/hood/fenders atleast and eb dash

#18 ·
bones has been running an oem bushing style on his rear engine buggy and is very happy with it. ive run the standard carrier bearing from surplus center. seem to get about a year out of them before you need to replace them.

i like that design your looking at. i think branik also makes a custom carrier bearing like that. but again its all expensive.

I ran 2" 7075 alluminium links on my last buggy and loved them. but stepping up to 1.25 heims i would probably step up to 2 1/4 or 21/2 links.

my new cruiser is running 2" 1/4 wall dom. i know they will end up bending but it was cheaper than alluminium and worked with the weld in bungs i got with my ruff stuff heim kits.

#23 ·
john at least do aluminum links for your lowers. my lowers are bent after less then a year wheeling. dom just does not hold up to hard hit's,all the southern guys run aluminum and a lot of the koh cars are also.im switching to aluminum. i have 1 1/4 heims also.

#37 ·
"street legal" when pulled over being questioned
"Street legal" plates and insurance.... I will have this, as it will be titled as the eb with the vin on the glove box door.

My eb wasn't street legal when I did snofari last year, but I had plates and insurnace on it everytime it left my driveway.

#42 ·
http://www.liftlaws.com/is_full_hydro_steering_street_legal.htm

Considering these laws, it is quite possible to design and build a safe full hydraulic steering systems that meets the requirements of all states with the exception of Tennessee. Although these laws don't specifically prohibit full hydraulic steering, that does not necessarily make it legal. That in mind, the risks of running a full hydraulic steering setup are mainly fix-it tickets and lawsuits.

#46 ·
Nissan is going to have a full drive by wire system in there 2013 models.

Maybe the full hydro thing might loosen up a bit with a brand sold nationally that has passed DOT standards driving next to you on the highway at 90 mph without any steering shaft.

I think if you get a officer butt hurt over anything it will be the bracing in the windshield causing a obstructed view.

Great build :beerbang:
Thanks for showing the carrier and including a link.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.